Forum tips and tricks

• Community Moderator

The forum we use has lots of little things to help us use it, but some of them are less intuitive than others. The idea is to build this post up to contain tips on how to get the most of your forum-ing, from a technical 'what does that icon/button' do perspective โŒจ Please share any tips you think might help forum users, and I'll add them to the first post ๐Ÿ™‚

Quoting when replying

Sometimes it can be helpful when replying, to "quote" the particular text you're replying to. The trick is the word "Quote", to the bottom-right of each post. Click it without highlighting and it will quote the whole post in a "new post box", that you can write a response under. If you're replying to something specific, or a small part of a larger post, highlight the text you want to quote (click/touch and drag), and press the "Quote" option at the bottom-right below the post in question (it seems to appear on both desktop and mobile) and then it will just add the highlighted bit, as a quote, to a "new post box".

Sorting topics and posts

The default setting for sorting topics (aka "threads") is "newest to oldest", while the default setting for sorting posts is "oldest to newest". If you want to change either of these though, just click on the "sort by" button to the top-right of the list of topics, or posts, and you can change it as per the pic below (Thanks to @river for suggesting this tip ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

topic sorting.jpg

Finding recently-active threads

If you want to see which threads have been active recently, click on the 'recent' icon in the 'menu bar', which looks like: the image below. (Cheers to @EmergeAustralia for this tip ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Recent threads.jpg

Setting up a signature and profile pic

See this thread: https://community.emerge.org.au/topic/301/how-do-i-read-posts-in-the-correct-order-to-make-sense-of-replies/5

• Community Moderator

I've added how to quote to this, as it seems I should have done that a long time ago!

• Could you add some info about how to use the private chat to this guide? A lot of people don't know the feature exists and it certainly confused me at first!

• Community Moderator

@river That's a great idea River - thanks for the suggestion ๐Ÿ™‚ I've added it to my list of things to do - a bit out of sorts tonight, but hopefully tomorrow or the next day.

• @Daffy_Dave hi! Is it possible to add a post to a thread without having to use the โ€˜replyโ€™ button? Also, can you please let me know what up-voting means? Thank you!

• Community Moderator

Hi @Bee ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm afraid the only way to add a new reply to a post is to use something that's labelled "reply" - there are two options though:

• there's the "Reply" word at the bottom-right of each post, and if you press this it will automatically add an "@" for the person who made that post at the start of your response (which can be deleted like any other text if you don't want it there).

• There's also the blue button at the bottom of the thread. On mobile (at least Android), this looks like a white, left-facing arrow on a blue button, to the bottom-left of the last post. On desktop, it's a blue box with the words "Reply" in it. In both cases, there's a little downward-facing triangle to the right of these, which allows you to "Reply as topic", which I think (I haven't done this yet) starts a new topic as a reply to that post (useful if you want to start a new stream of discussion on something specific in the thread that's different to the thread's main topic.

Does that help? Let me know if there's anything I've missed, or been unclear about. Happy posting ๐Ÿ™‚

Also - I haven't forgotten your request @river - it's just a little more involved, so need a few more spoons to put that together - hopefully this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

• @Daffy_Dave @Bee it took me ages to see that big plain reply option too!
    And an upvote just means someone has read your comment and likes it.

• (I think)

• Replying to topic seems to work!

• Community Moderator

@Bee Glad to hear ๐Ÿ™‚

Also - I"m very sorry, in my brain-addled state I forgot to link this below, which talks about upvotes and reputation ๐Ÿ™‚

https://community.emerge.org.au/topic/112/reputation-what-it-is-and-what-it-isn-t

• @Daffy_Dave That clears it all up - I especially like that it can be understood to be an acknowledgment of a post/comment even if someone doesnโ€™t have the energy to reply fully. Thank you.