Hello from Adelaide!

• Hi everyone, I'm 32 and I'm from Adelaide.

I got sick in Oct last year and got diagnosed with post-viral fatigue by a GP and then a general physician that December.

I stopped work but built up to full time WFH around July this year. I built up to going on 20 min walks, was able to drive around my neighborhood, go to the shop, go to lunch.

I had one "crash" in April when I had a busy day that I knew was way outside what I should be doing. Took me about 6 weeks to get over but I was still able to work and kind of function.

Two weeks ago I started going downhill but there was nothing I can think of that I'd done that was particularly outside what I'd been managing well with. For a week and a half I was struggling but functional but then suddenly the wheels completely fell off and I could barely walk and couldn't sit up. I can walk a little bit more steadily now and sit up for a little bit to wash and eat but that's about it. Thankfully I can still watch some TV and listen to an audiobook without feeling awful.

I am really scared at the moment that things changed so quickly and I'm so glad I found a place where there are people who understand! Looking forward to chats 🌻

• @emsarah I’m so sorry to hear that you have had such a scary experience and I do hope you feel better soon.

You have found a lovely community here on the forum. Rest up and stay in touch 😊

• @artist55 Thanks so much! I'm so glad I've found this place πŸ™‚

Also some things about me that aren't related to being unwell! I'm a graphic designer so I like being organised but also being a bit creative. I love to cook and bake (and eat haha) so looking forward to being able to get back to a little of that when I can. The audiobook I'm reading right now is called Pachinko, and I also have the new Sally Rooney novel to start.

• Community Moderator

Hello @emsarah welcome to the forum. Totally relate to how scary it can be and our little community is totally here to help each other through the ME/CFS rollercoaster.

• @gretch thanks, I'm glad I have found a place where people can relate πŸ™‚

• @emsarah Hello pleased to meet you on the forum🌼

• @crashdummy Hello! Nice to meet you too! πŸ™‚

• Hello @emsarah and welcome here.

Well done for managing your post viral fatigue so well for the whole year, especially patiently recovering from that day in April.

It is absolutely frightening when you have a big collapse and can't work out what it was. I think it is often an accumulation of things (which is particularly frustrating because we had no idea we were slightly overdoing it for a while).

Hopefully you can take a deep breath and start again, keeping within your limits and looking after yourself as best you can.
    I remember years ago someone made a game of CFS snakes and ladders with tiny little ladders and enormous snakes, so I am thinking of you picking yourself up after a surprise slide down the world's longest snake and sighing at the thought of making your way up the board again. I'm wishing you lots of little ladders!

Best wishes 🐒

• @Dot Thank you! That is SUCH a kind message and so well explained.

You are probably right in that it was an accumulation of smaller things that I didn't notice and in isolation would have been ok but together slid me down.

I wish you lots of tiny ladders too! πŸͺœβœ¨

• @emsarah Hello! Welcome to our forum. I love @Dot β€˜s description of the game of snakes and ladders. Boy, can we relate to that! We all need to keep that in mind when we know we are doing too much. And we learn as we go along. Hope you feel better soon.

• Hi @Glimmer, thanks for welcoming me! Yes it was a great description, definitely going to keep it in mind.

• @emsarah Thankyou so much πŸ˜„ Cheers for tiny ladders and best wishes for an easy day today. @Glimmer too πŸ˜„

• @emsarah It was lovely to learn more about you 😊 I hope you recover quickly from this little hiccup and that you get back to the creative things that you love to do!

• @artist55 Thanks so much! Me too, all we do is wait it out right and see what it's like on the other side. In the meantime it's been nice looking through the forum. I found Creative Corner and saw some of your paintings! Absolutely stunning 😊

• @emsarah thank you, that’s very kind of you to say so. πŸ€—