Mood Music

• Community Moderator

I often use music to help get through the day and was inspired by @Dot's conversation about listening to REM to start a thread to see what others are using to provide a little bit of comfort. Itโ€™s a bit hard to pick one, sometimes it requires a whole playlist to seep in and steep for a bit to have any affect but hereโ€™s what has helped:-

For a smile or mental jig-
    Geronimo - Sheppard

For a bit of solace -
    Dot mentioned REMโ€™s Everybody Hurts, which reminded how much I also like the Jasmine Thompson version

To feel all the feelings, when you need to let it all out-
    Mad world - Gary Jules
    Or almost anything by Loreena Mckennitt

Always looking for more to add to my playlists so just wondering what others are using as a musical balm at the moment.
    There is also a thread on Relaxation Music if that helps get you through the day as well as a thread on Alphabetical song titles for a bit of fun.

• @gretch Thank you for starting this thread. Lately, I feel like I have been discovering music that I didn't know existed (not the genres, but the world of artists that create such wonderful harmonies and unusual music) . It has been soothing to listen to instrumental music as sometimes the lyrics of songs are hard to decipher and I spend too much time trying to listen rather than just immerse myself in the music. I invested in a good head set and I can listen without disturbing the family, especially at 3am! ... I am drawn to Celtic Ethereal music at the moment ... I don't have a playlist for this or any playlist; I can only recommend music from the record cupboard (HaHa) but I do have some amazing records and the old player. We do get them out occasionally and give them a spin. Some of the epic instrumentals from the 60-70s are worth adding to any playlist or discovering... I suggest Mile Oldfield -Tubular Bells Album ๐ŸŽง

• @crashdummy You must be of my vintage! I havenโ€™t heard Tubular Bells for such a long time. Time for some YouTube this afternoon. ๐ŸŽผ

• @Glimmer Hee Hee ..yep ... I have it on at the moment and War of the Worlds is next followed by Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth ... and ending with Pink Floyd. Enjoy your day down memory lane ... ๐ŸŽธ

• @crashdummy Now youโ€™re talking. ๐Ÿค—

• Community Moderator

@crashdummy just looked up Tubular Bells and then had to look up what Proggy meant.๐Ÿ˜Š
    E90A8B30-570F-4089-A508-3284AD86E3C5.jpeg

Now also thinking about my fav Pink Floyd song and remembering why I never wanted the job of mincing the meat. (if you know, you know).

• @gretch Haha ... very graphic imagery in The Wall -Pink Floyd... progressive rock -Hope you enjoy the tubular bells album ...

• Tubular Bells is one of my favs!

• @river Aaahh ... a fellow subscriber to great instrumental music ... ๐ŸŽป

• What a lovely thread.

I did become much less adventurous with music once I had ME/CFS. There were so many sounds I could no longer stand. And I went from loving music radio to find ads unbearable and swapped to the old peoples station with gentle ads for funeral directors ๐Ÿ˜‰ and grey nomad caravans ๐Ÿ˜„ , and music I was familiar with (drove my daughter up the wall).

Currently I am listening to The Waifs.
    Here is a song from them about their grandmother who went on one of the bride trains that ran from Perth to Sydney and Brisbane in 1945 and 1946 to allow Australian war brides to join their husbands in the United States.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k7OncTVHkI

• @Dot I really enjoyed that Dot. Thankyou. ๐Ÿ‘

• Community Moderator

Thanks to the announcement of new ABBA I've had old ABBA stuck in my head for 24. hours. There is only so much Waterloo and Dancing Queen I can take. ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ™… Anyone have any good ear worm replacements?

• @gretch Hee Hee ... I had that yesterday for a short while after the news but it left me when I honed in on some hammering done outside.

• Community Moderator

@crashdummy that's one way to do it.๐Ÿ™‚

• @gretch Thatโ€™s why I never listen to music in the evening - especially Abba. Over stimulation ++. It would be in my head for days. Perhaps now listen to classical to tone it down. Or a bit of Jazz.