Euthyroid sick syndrome

• This is what they call it when you have low T3, high rT3 but otherwise normal thyroid results. Wondering if anyone has had this particular anomaly turn up in blood results. It's possibly the only objective evidence I've ever gotten from medical investigations that I am in fact extremely ill.

• @river said in Euthyroid sick syndrome:

This is what they call it when you have low T3, high rT3 but otherwise normal thyroid results. Wondering if anyone has had this particular anomaly turn up in blood results. It's possibly the only objective evidence I've ever gotten from medical investigations that I am in fact extremely ill.

Hi @river
    Thank you for this post as I have not been aware of the rT3... I will have a look into that one....
    I do know for years in repeated testing of my thyroid the results of the normal T4,T3, TSH tests were ok.
    Although the antibodies Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase and Anti-Thyroglobulin have always been very high ... into the thousands. So the doc I was seeing then for ME/CFS said I also had Hashimotos ....

A few year ago the normal levels changed and I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism as well and put on meds for it.
    Have you had your antibodies checked too?

I’ll go check out Euthyroid sick syndrome.

• @Tess I haven't had those antibodies checked as far as I know. My most recent thyroid tests came back normal but they didn't test all the thyroid hormones. You need an open minded doc to test rt3 as it's not one of the standard tests and rarely done.

I noticed after posting this that the Wikipedia article for ESS actually mentions chronic fatigue syndrome as one of the conditions linked to it. Might be worth checking out the references on that

• @river said in Euthyroid sick syndrome:

@Tess I haven't had those antibodies checked as far as I know. My most recent thyroid tests came back normal but they didn't test all the thyroid hormones. You need an open minded doc to test rt3 as it's not one of the standard tests and rarely done.

I noticed after posting this that the Wikipedia article for ESS actually mentions chronic fatigue syndrome as one of the conditions linked to it. Might be worth checking out the references on that

Thank you @river. I to noticed a link also to CFS in an article I read. I struggled to look into much... I will check with my doc about the rT3 she is great to approach about anything.

It would be interesting to see what your thyroid antibodies are?
    I know some docs do not think it’s anything to much, having huge thyroid antibody levels, which I find amazing as of course it’s doing something!
    The doc I seen for ME/CFS stuff said it absolutely is .... he said I had Hashimotos which unfortunately also then turned into hypothyroidism down the track and to taking the thyroid meds.

It appears the thyroid is capable of making a lot of people unwell....
    Good luck if you get your antibodies tested I hope they come back good.😀🤞