How do I read posts in the correct order to make sense of replies?

• I have never been in a forum like this. I can't seem to get the hang of how to read the original post and replies, or just other comments in the correct order. Everything seems all over the place! Happy to receive some tips. 💕

• Community Moderator

Hi @Caitlyn 🙂 If you're on tablet or desktop, there's a "sort by" button at the bottom of the thread (and under the first post as well), where you can select how you'd like them to be sorted for that thread:

Small Sorting-1A.png

If you're not sure which is which, each post has a time next to it - so, for example, you sort your "Hi from the Sunshine Coast" thread (https://community.emerge.org.au/topic/300/hi-from-sunshine-coast-qld/2) from oldest to newest, then right now it has your post at "about an hour ago", Dot's at "43 minutes ago", your reply at "40 minutes ago" and so on. It's a bit more confusing the other way around, as "Newest to Oldest" still has the original post up the top, but it then has the most recent post underneath that, with the post under that one being the next-most-recent, and so on. I don't recommend sorting by votes - if you do that, it'll be sorted in a somewhat random order based on the number next to the up-pointing chevron at the bottom-right of each post.

On mobile, the "sort by" button is the button in the screensoht that's second from the left, with the two triangles facing up and down, and the downward facing triangle next to them.

Small Sorting-C.png

Let me know if you have any questions - I have ME/CFS as well and the brain isn't as reliable as I'd like, so can miss things. Welcome to the forum 🙂

• If I'm understanding you correctly, I think what you are struggling with is that when someone replies to a comment, you can't tell which comment they replied to - is that right?

I am having trouble with this too. There is an option to quote the comment you are replying to so as to give context to your reply but most people don't use it. Maybe admins could bring this feature to people's attention... But I will probably still forget to do it myself (this comment is a case in point!)

• Community Moderator

@river said in How do I read posts in the correct order to make sense of replies?:

I am having trouble with this too. There is an option to quote the comment you are replying to so as to give context to your reply but most people don't use it. Maybe admins could bring this feature to people's attention... But I will probably still forget to do it myself (this comment is a case in point!)

Quoting is definitely the way to go when responding to something specifically - good thinking River 🙂 In case anyone reading this is unsure how to, highlight the text you want to quote, and press the "Quote" option at the bottom-right below the post in question (it seems to appear on both desktop and mobile).

• @Daffy_Dave said in How do I read posts in the correct order to make sense of replies?:

highlight the text you want to quote, and press the "Quote" option at the bottom-right below the post in question

Oh wow. Here to say even we hadn't worked out that you need to highlight a bit of text and then hit quote. I'd been struggling with that!! Thanks @Daffy_Dave 🍾