Diagnosis difficulty

• I had been seeing a GP for around two years trying to address my fatigue. Test after test was done including a heart and brain scan, liver function, B levels, thyroid etc etc. I am a perfectly happy male 58 yrs old but of course she insisted it was a mental health problem and I very reluctantly tried several medications of all which I had terrible intolerance side effects. I refuse to see a mental health practitioner for a physical problem. She sent me a letter instructing me to find another GP. I went to see a young GP who of course suggested antidepressants and mental heath advise. I have just been to see another who straight away said CFS on my first and only appointment and took three weeks holidays immediately. I am currently unemployed and Centerlink require I look for eight jobs a month or commence retraining courses. Unreal, neither are honestly possible with my brain fog, post exertional malaise and fatigue. I am a sensible person and very comfortable with my decision making processes. ME CFS really takes it's toll on a person which is greatly enhanced by the lack of understanding from those who are educated to diagnose and assist us...

• I'm sorry you've had such a terrible experience, and sadly it's one that many of us can relate to. I wonder if you might be eligible for the DSP? Centerlink's requirements are completely impossible for sick people.

• Cheers for your reply river,
    I do believe a DSP is required for me however I am unable to get a diagnosis. The latest doctor I have have one brief introductory visit with before she took holidays offered me a two week medical certificate. I have been on or in my bed for two years. I do attempt to do something most days and go out for a hour or so several days a week whilst feeling terrible only to strip off and lay on a towel on my bed as soon as I get home. My inability to have a recognized diagnosis to present to Centerlink is compounding my situation...

• @Kalinda Someone here may be able to help you find a doctor in your area who can diagnose and provide the necessary documentation for your DSP application - we are not supposed to recommend healthcare professionals publicly here for liability reasons, but discussion in private messages is ok. If you use Facebook, there is also an excellent support group for people with ME/CFS applying for the DSP on there.

• @river, Excellent I have already been on this path for several years now. I am not a big FB user but do have an account to keep in touch with my sons aged 30-31-32 when I am overseas. I will do some searching there, thanks kindly for your suggestions. I make a very difficult journey to a 3rd world country several times a year for several months where I find a cheap rental in a very very poor province and nobody is that well or energetic at the best of times. Not everyone's cup of tea for a getaway, the pace of life and day to day activities are far more subdued , a place where my activity levels are widely unnoticeable and considered normal. It's been my only escape in the absence of a diagnostic confirmation...

• Global Moderator

@Kalinda Here's a link to the Facebook group, in case it helps - best of luck 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MECFSandtheDSP

• @Daffy_Dave. Thank you I will check it out . Looks like it could answer some frustrating questions for me...