What things can you still do well?

• Today I ran across this Stephen Hawking quote:

concentrate on things your disability doesn't prevent you doing well, and don't regret the things it interferes with

and it got me thinking...is there anything that CFS doesn't prevent me doing well?

I truly feel this illness has impacted every part of my life, from physical activity to creativity to using my brain to connecting with others... it's hard to think of anything that I can consistently do well while living with such a bewildering array of symptoms and a permanent cap on my energy. If I could think of even one thing that meets the criteria, and made that my life purpose/actual job, I'd probably be a lot happier.

Petting animals? Maybe I should get a job as a petminder...

• @river Same, same. Maybe a yoga teacher, but only Yoga Nidra 🙏.

• @river I feel the same, it is a very restricting illness and I often find motivational statements more frustrating then helpful as so few seem to actually be applicable to our condition.
    Professional watcher of Netflix maybe? Though on good days when I feel like I have enough energy to think about what I'm watching while lying in bed I might actually combine my resting with lightly thinking about things like character types, plot structure, style, etc to try and understand what makes that show successful (or not). If I'm really energetic I might even jot down a few notes 🙂 It's really just for fun and it's not much, but makes it feel like I might be achieving/learning at least something small with the limited activity I'm restricted to.

• @Katt being a part time film/book critic could be fun!

• @Katt I've also taken my Netflix viewing to professional levels. Have been known to comment on everything from lighting and camera angles to dialogue choices. Before streaming platforms were a thing I went down the fanfic rabbit hole. It was a relief to find a whole community of people who were adding their own unique voices to the characters and plot.

• @river said in What things can you still do well?:

Today I ran across this Stephen Hawking quote:

concentrate on things your disability doesn't prevent you doing well, and don't regret the things it interferes with

and it got me thinking...is there anything that CFS doesn't prevent me doing well?

I truly feel this illness has impacted every part of my life, from physical activity to creativity to using my brain to connecting with others... it's hard to think of anything that I can consistently do well while living with such a bewildering array of symptoms and a permanent cap on my energy. If I could think of even one thing that meets the criteria, and made that my life purpose/actual job, I'd probably be a lot happier.

Petting animals? Maybe I should get a job as a petminder...

@river I can give you one thing you do very well, at least when you do have the energy to share with us... it is how you get us all moving and talking on here. You are a true leader even when you’re exhausted! 😁
    I so relate to what you are saying as well!
    I think I’ve become consistently good at positioning my pillows under arms
    ,legs and my weary head 😂
    If we think about it we would be experts at many small things that healthy well people take for granted everyday.....

• @gretch said in What things can you still do well?:

@Katt I've also taken my Netflix viewing to professional levels. Have been known to comment on everything from lighting and camera angles to dialogue choices. Before streaming platforms were a thing I went down the fanfic rabbit hole. It was a relief to find a whole community of people who were adding their own unique voices to the characters and plot.

@Katt and @gretch Im loving the taking Netflix to professional levels! Who knows you both may become budding directors from the comfort of your own home.... theres a thought, perhaps there is a whole new story/script to be written in there/here somewhere.... even if it takes a longtime......
    Maybe we can all add to the script.... we could just start with a “once upon a time along time ago there was a...”. lol
    Who wants to take it on? 🤓

• @Tess haha that does sound like a fun project! I wonder what strange ways brain fog might make it go? Would definitely be unique 🙂

• @Katt said in What things can you still do well?:

@Tess haha that does sound like a fun project! I wonder what strange ways brain fog might make it go? Would definitely be unique 🙂

I think it’s doable.... hmm is it a word? It’ll do! 😄
    We could maybe try.... who knows it might just end up in a book 😂.... Weirdly something in me believes this is doable so I reckon we should start with something like a theme... setting...cast/characters....
    Then it seems like an impossible task toooo 😂

Although with our fabulous imaginations that we have all added to I’m sure with many days of not being able to do anything much at all, we could do a little something ....
    I’d love a romance ....with a bit of mystery
    This would be unique .... a beautiful young girl Ella ( that sounds pretty) moves into the huge house across the road.....
    The talk around the town is
    “why do we never see her?
    What’s the deal with her family?
    She hasn’t even started school yet!

We could cast her with ME/CFS or we can stay completely away from it ....?

Hehe My mind is running away with thoughts.
    Perhaps we should move this to a non public section so that anyone else who is not in our group cannot steal it! Lol

We have to own the copyright of course! Hehe

I’m not sure what section this is in perhaps it’s already in the non public section.....

So who is in her family?
    How old is Ella?
    What’s the name of the Town?

It would be fun for all of us to be a part of this, you never know we might end up with a great idea that can come to fruition one day....
    One must dream and dream big I say!

Go us! 🤗🦋

• @river Still have courage, strength and determination in abundance. Am kind, caring and thoughtful! I am still 'a green finger' with plants and can bake a good cake even though I only take these things on occasionally.

• I'm still a good planner, thinker and common sense connoisseur! Because of ME/CFS, my world has been turned upside down the last few years, with lots of changes like having to give up work and sell my house. Although still severe, I'm really proud of how I've managed to navigate everything and come out the other side...not out of illness, but I'm now in a position where I have stable housing and finances (thanks DSP). And I've had to do it all on my own, without anyone to bounce ideas off. Mind you, my brain doesn't work as well, or as quickly, as it used to, but it still works. I'm no less intelligent, just a bit slower.

Plus, I'm a professional TV watcher. I like to commit to things and achieve goals. Unfortunately, TV is the main focus for that. I choose different TV series and commit to watching it from start to finish - including things like watching every season of the Block and Masterchef. Trust me, it takes dedication, perseverance, and a whole lot of fatigue and brain fog, to survive so much TV.