What Books Do You Enjoy reading?

• As I read a lot of books I get a lot of enjoyment from them.It keeps me busy at times and sometimes I'll buy a book like a self help book to learn something.I like to read the usual guy stuff like cars for example. So,what books do you like reading?
    Thanks for stopping by.

• Hi there, I love escaping in a good story with strong character bonds (friendship not romance so much) and development, as with t.v love a good sci-fi or fantasy. I struggle to read but Audiobooks have helped fill that void. I'm currently "reading" Pillars of Creation in the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind.

• Global Moderator

In principle, I enjoy all sorts of things (pre-MEEP me enjoyed philosophy, but that's instant-headache material now), but I've found with the memory being patchy, it made sense to stick with something, and for reasons that are somewhat random, I read naval history (I'm not too fussy, but mostly from mid-19th century at the moment).

I find that because there's usually a fair bit of overlap between things, and similar themes, etc., that it's easier to keep track of things. I read one fiction book lately and really enjoyed it, but found that I lost track of characters and plot arcs (and it was only a couple of hundred pages long). And it turns out plenty of historical characters had quite interesting lives as well, so there's plenty of interest (and I also like the 'nuts and bolts' side of things).

• @Daffy_Dave Maybe a book of short stories or poems could be good to scratch the fiction itch? Not sure if it would be too much but maybe even some of the Sherlock mysteries, they are a lot shorter than the regular novel. I have the complete works of E.A.Poe and grim fairy tails which have lots of short things to read that still get quite deep. I'm not ashamed to revisit Roald Dahl who also has short stories. I even enjoy some comics, never thought I would but they can get way deeper and intense than I ever gave them credit for.

A Dream
    BY EDGAR ALLAN POE

In visions of the dark night
    I have dreamed of joy departedโ€”
    But a waking dream of life and light
    Hath left me broken-hearted.

Ah! what is not a dream by day
    To him whose eyes are cast
    On things around him with a ray
    Turned back upon the past?

That holy dreamโ€”that holy dream,
    While all the world were chiding,
    Hath cheered me as a lovely beam
    A lonely spirit guiding.

What though that light, thro' storm and night,
    So trembled from afarโ€”
    What could there be more purely bright
    In Truth's day-star?

• Global Moderator

@Dio_Raven Cheers, that's a good idea, and possibly the most cultured post on the forum yet ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ“– I've actually become somewhat hooked on naval history now (again, oddly - I don't come from a maritime family, and had very little time on boats/ships even before ME/CFS, let alone after it came long) but they're good suggestions. I actually read the Sherlock Holmes stories (as you say, a great length) back when I wasn't unwell, and have them floating around somewhere. ๐Ÿ“š

Comics are also a great idea ๐Ÿ˜Ž I prefer books, but had forgotten that for a patch I read comics. As you say, there's often more depth to the stories than one would expect, and there are lots of breadth in terms of the subject matter covered.

• @Daffy_Dave Any particular comics you enjoy?

• @Dencds Books are such a joy. I really like non fiction books about historical events. Sometimes I buy a book just for its' cover. Lately I've been buying books with 60's themed covers (just love the artwork and the titles). It sounds silly but it keeps me entertained and takes my mind to a more creative space. If the book is about vintage cars and the manufacturer then I would read it.

• Global Moderator

@Dio_Raven said in What Books Do You Enjoy reading?:

@Daffy_Dave Any particular comics you enjoy?

Ever since I was a kid, I've been a fan of Daredevil (Marvel - very mainstream) - that'd have to be my favourite. How about you? I expect your tastes will be a good deal classier ๐Ÿ™‚

@crashdummy said in What Books Do You Enjoy reading?:

@Dencds Books are such a joy. I really like non fiction books about historical events. Sometimes I buy a book just for its' cover. Lately I've been buying books with 60's themed covers (just love the artwork and the titles). It sounds silly but it keeps me entertained and takes my mind to a more creative space. If the book is about vintage cars and the manufacturer then I would read it.

Oooh - you've just reminded me - there are quite a few 'historical picture-books' - lots of photos or artwork, with captions - that can be quite easy-going. Your books sound tops ๐Ÿ™‚

• @Daffy_Dave My very first was actually part of a concept album by Stone Sour, House of Gold and Bones. I find I steer towards Dark Horse but honestly I have not read that many and it has been quite a while. I have enjoyed Lady Mechanika but I'm likely rather behind now. I started the Firefly series and really aught to get back into that. I've read a bunch of random free ones but I don't remember the names. I don't really go for the traditional super hero comics (I think watching too many marvel movies has totally put me off) however I loved The Killing Joke, more phycological, less epic battle. I'm not ready to out myself on my favourite comic in a public forum but It contained the general themes I go for, equality, friendship love and good character development with a bit of "screw you" to society norms thrown in!

• Global Moderator

@Dio_Raven They all sound great ๐Ÿ™‚ I've read The Killing Joke as well (I have an old friend who is a huge fan of the Batman/Joker side of things, and he recommended it) thought it was very good.

@Dio_Raven said in What Books Do You Enjoy reading?:

I'm not ready to out myself on my favourite comic in a public forum but It contained the general themes I go for, equality, friendship love and good character development with a bit of "screw you" to society norms thrown in!

Hahaha, I like the sound of this a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

As an aside, if people haven't heard of it, Project Gutenberg has a bunch of free ebooks - it's a very random collection, but I found an interesting (at least for me) book on maritime things on it, and it's got all sorts of stuff http://www.gutenberg.org/

• @Daffy_Dave Good old C S Foresters' Horatio Hornblower series. Naval story ... I really got into it ... also loved the tv series. Today I bought a wholesome food book: nice hardcover, rural living feel and a flower arrangement book... not only do they look good just hanging around but they inspire me. The photography is awesome. I want to try out one of the recipes (plant based) if it works I will share it as my debut recipe for the food thread that started๐Ÿค“