Food Intolerances/Allergies

• @RatsAreFluffy Fully understand! me/cfs throws the immune system out and it becomes very dysfunctional. Beside the food intolerances from which I get a lot of stomach problems from and terrible hives I also have become very chemical sensitive like yourself. I react to normal sunscreen and have to use zinc based. I have also gone over to all organic and natural herbal skin and hair care due to skin reactions. All my intolerances/sensitivities developed several years after becoming ill with me/cfs! It sounds like yours accelerated.

• @donnamarie using zinc based is probably a really good idea. My doctor has given me lots of informative rants about how we all need more zinc. It has something like 200 uses and it’s very hard to absorb orally, every little bit counts... of course, I suppose it is possible to have too much, but in my case, it’s something I’m sorely lacking.

I already used a lot of organic soaps and such, because I have a tendency to get a hay-fever-like reaction to all artificial smells, and I mean all. I forgot to mention this, because it’s something I’ve always had, even before the ME/CFS.

• @RatsAreFluffy thanks for sharing. You have been very helpful!

• The best thing I did was download the Monash FODMAP app and sought the help of a dietitian. It can be impossible to guess what foods are triggering your symptoms otherwise.

• @Nat_3427 I saw a dietitian for 6 months under a government plan. Ms Jane Whitbread from Adelaide Dietitians is my dietitian. We particularly looked at food preservatives and flavour enhancers. I react badly to MSG (Monosodium glutamate).

• @donnamarie Being rural, the options are limited unless you are in a tourist town or city.There are always picnics though ... The bigger towns seem to have at least one healthy menu cafe, of some sort. We would have to travel 150-200 klms to get to a rural city that has cafes. I've found that even fetes or local community events etc, may have healthier foods than in the past, but the choices for intolerances are far and few. I just take my own snacks. Finding specific foods for special diets is a challenge as well. Smaller supermarkets don't have a full variety.

• @crashdummy I am rural also and every year I find it hard at the 'Riverland Field Day' to find something to eat. You are allowed to bring in water but not other food or beverages so I eat later. I was told Coles and Woolworths cater for coeliac (note wheat intolerance and coeliac follow the same diet except wheat intolerance patients can have oats which coeliac cannot so the dietitian told me.) and other food intolerances as in dairy, etc more so than other chains. You can also pick up their free magazines with new products and recipes that cater for special diets. Always check out the health food aisle. When I visit the city and or other bigger towns I stock pile up on a few gluten (wheat free) snack foods such as cracker biscuits etc as in the 'Orgran' brand. They have a webpage. It is good to share information.

• @donnamarie www.orgran.com.au and you can sign up to their page for new recipes and latest products.

• @donnamarie Thanks for the tip on the cracker biscuits ... will check it out. I here you on bulk buying ... it's not a matter of savings but that does help, but rather a necessity. 🤓

• @crashdummy Some supermarkets have a bigger variety than very small rural towns. eg. In Waikerie it is $6.00 for gluten wheat free crackers in Woolworths and only $3.50 in Loxton IGA for Orgran Buckwheat crackers and there is at least 5 different varieties including quinoa and chia. Loxton is a much bigger town.