Radio, podcasts, audiobooks

• Could we add radio, podcasts and audiobooks to this section of the board? A lot of us listen to things if watching or reading is too much. We could rename the section 'Seen and Heard?

• Great idea @Muscleburn! Have made that change.

• Community Moderator

That's a great thought Muscleburn 🙂 We could even potentially add normal books as well (they're still "seen")? I've had patches (more than a decade!) where reading gave me headaches but I could manage listening for longer/more easily, but at the moment for whatever reason my brain struggles with audio, but can handle reading (I think it's a pace thing - I can read at my own pace, while the words just keep coming relentlessly at the pace of speech in terms of audio, which for whatever reason gets tiring quickly).

Normal books are also often available as audiobooks as well, so that The Lord of the Rings (sorry, brain fog, can't think of anything less obvious) is a good book could be useful to non-readers.

• @Daffy_Dave I know what you mean. I often slow down audio, and sometimes video, to a speed that my brain can process. As for books, I seem to do better with biographies than history, for example. I guess the human interest element engages me more & makes it easier for my ME brain to absorb facts.

• Community Moderator

@Muscleburn Nice one - I'm a big fan of the human element 👱. For me, I've actually found history makes things a bit easier - my memory is quite patchy, and by sticking with a particular topic (naval history in my case), repetition helps things sink in a bit, and knowing the environment makes reading something in particular easier (I very much enjoy biographies of people associated with naval history). I found when reading fiction, because of the numerous characters and plot twists, I found it very hard to keep up ("Who was this again?" "Where are they now?" that kind of thing). I imagine biographies of real people would also be easier than fiction for the same reason (ie, they'll relate back to actual events of which we'll have some knowledge).

That's not to take away from fiction at all - I have enjoyed it when I've read it, and I find for watching fictional stories are much easier than documentaries!

• Two apps I'd recommend are ABC Listen and BBC Sounds. They allow you to access a lot of programs on-demand, often going back months or years, and in some cases you can listen to specific segments of programs rather than having to play the whole thing. If you like radio plays the BBC is an excellent resource.

@muscleburn If you like biographies there is a BBC radio program called Great Lives that's accessible via the Sounds app. There is another BBC program called You're Dead to Me which also often focuses on an individual, but it has a comedic element and can be harder to keep up with.

For podcasts Kurt Fearnley is a name worth searching.

• @pemdelapem Love the user name 😅 I have the ABC Listen and and BBC World app, plus another podcast app whose name escapes me. Haven't seen the Sounds app - will check it out.

• No Such Thing As A Fish is great fun. Put together by some of the people who do research for QI. It can be a bit loud and silly at times. I also love The Guilty Feminist podcast. I listen to a lot of audiobooks as I'm struggling with reading, the app BorrowBox is great as you log in using your library card and can borrow audio and ebooks