Hello from Hobart!

• Hi, I’m Harry.
    I’ve had me/cfs for 4 and a half years. I’m lucky, I’m moderate and I still work (in emergency services) but only on daytime hours and I haven’t regularly managed more than 4 days a week since becoming unwell.

Since the illness I’ve had to give up promotion aspirations within my work. I’ve (somewhat) replaced those goals with doing more with my kids, like playing guitar for my busking youngest child, slowly fixing things around the house and I’ve turned my passion for guitars into now slowly building them. I’ve built a lapsteel, a mandolin and now started on an electric bass - building them all from scratch (YouTube is actually good for some things!)

I’m married and have three children, all who accept my illness and limitations. I’m very lucky to have a supportive workplace who also respect my capabilities and limitations and help me to be as useful as I can be.

I know a fair bit about employment obligations and illness and I am happy digging around in relevant legislation etc.

I’m so glad that Emerge has created this forum space so that we can all support each other in a safe place - so thankyou to the Emerge Team!

• Global Moderator

Welcome Harry, great to have you on the forum 🙂 It sounds like you've done a great job adapting to ME/CFS, and those guitars sound very impressive 🎸 It's great to hear you have a supporting family and workplace, but saying that is in no way meant to take away from the challenges ME/CFS brings.

• @Harry-P Welcome Harry. Congratulations on managing to be so productive in spite of the illness. Building stringed instruments including guitars is a wonderful hobby. Best wishes for improving health!

• @Daffy_Dave thanks! But I probably sound more adapted than I really am, like most people I guess 👍

• @Christine thanks 😊

• Hi, Harry, Please to meet you.

• @donnamarie and pleased to meet you too.
    What makes you “stand out from the pack”? If that’s an ok question 🙂